Monday, July 7, 2008

Our Fun 4th weekend!

There's nothing quite like spending the 4th of July in a small town. That's why we usually go up to St. Johns and stay with my parents. For those of you who haven't heard of St. Johns, it's a small, close nit community near the White Mountains populated with something like 2-3 thousand people. Maybe less. Here's a a re-cap of some of our Fun 4th weekend.

Daddy and Simon on their way to the City Park for the Yummy 4th of July pancake breakfast.


The cousins climbing the "web" after breakfast.


And then climbing the "tree" before Lunch, which was at the park too.


Oliver got sad because there was too many kids in the tree so he couldn't get up.


Not to worry, the kiddos soon vacated and up he went.


After lunch it was time for the races and "Cracker Jacks." I have no idea where the City finds "Cracker Jacks" every 4th. They have handed them out to all the race participators for as long as I can remember. I'm starting to think St. Johns is the Town of things Forgotten. Look at how serious Oliver is though. Such confidence too. He had no idea he was 3rd not 1st. He's still talking about how fast he was. So am I.


Then it was out to Lyman Lake for a picnic and Fireworks. Oliver was a little less photogenic here. I don't know how many pictures we tried to take and this was the best one.


Grampa built a fire so the kids could roast marshmallows. Oliver didn't want to eat the black part. So not my kid!


Simon got a little dirty.


Sparklers were fun. So were the Fireworks but no one needs to see pictures of those.


Then it was time to go back to Gramma and Grampas. This was two minutes after the kids got in the car. I think they were exhausted.

The next day we decided to RENT the City pool. Yup for a mere $40 you can rent the pool for 1 hour for up to 25 guest. Such a bargain!

Sometimes Oliver forgets how cool I am so I have to remind him by doing BACK-FLIPS off the High dive. I'm Awesome!


Simon, my little dare devil, wanted to go off the diving boards too, but I thought he might be too little.

He jumped off the side instead.

Can you guess what this is?

That would be the padding from my swimsuit other wise known as "Mommies Boobs." At some point it came out and floated away. I thought I was a little lopsided.


The next day was Sunday. We went to church where Jarred got to hear the Testimony of his favorite St. Johns war Vet, Mr. Lambson. He sounds like James Earl Jones. After church we came home where the kids spent the last few hours at Gramma and Grampas house swinging and exploring the "Jungle" with Grampa. I think we got that swing-set when I was 8 years old which would make it 22 years old. My dad has rebuilt the swings, but I think this just might be the most popular swing-set in AZ!


Gramma sat and watched everyone and played with the babies.


Oliver just HAD to show Daddy the "Jungle" one last time. The irrigation was running so there was a river flowing through it. All the kids think it's a real "Jungle." They even came in crying a couple of times because they thought they saw Lions and Bears. We were all little sad to leave. The weather was in the 80's and absolutely beautiful. But we had to say good-bye and get on the road.


We had all this wonderful traffic waiting for us after all. How nice.

12 people were neglecting their kids:

Jessie Lewis said...

Oh the jungle....I remember those days. That darn Lynn Timmer was always tearing down mine and Kachelle's forts, or so we assumed.
Request: do you have Carrie and Catherine's addresses? Can you email them to me? Thanks.

Raysha said...

I'm so glad you got to go to St Johns instead of Willy willy Willcox. Looks like you had fun. Thanks again for doing my hair. Today we took Scotty to Wal Mart to get his hair cut. The girls there were asking me tons of questions about my hair. They loved it!

Tally said...

Back flip???? WHOA! That is super impressive! You ARE awesome!!!

meghannamarie said...

We got stuck for at least 1 hour in that traffic! I wish people would learn to drive if they are going on long trips!

Whitney said...

Sounds like a funny swim pool experience, hillarous that your boob thing fell out.

The Turnarounds said...

Hey Koe, remember when I went to St. Johns over the 4th with you and Jarred. That was a fun 4th! Aaron has heard me more than once comment on the swimming pool there and how it reminds me of the movie Sand Lot. Your blog makes me want to go "home" to a small town for the holidays. (Okay Shelley, Id doesn't quite count) :)

Shan said...

Your commentary.....makes me do so much Laughing Out Loud FOR REAL. Good grief Koi!!!
I really can't get over the backflip AND catching it on film? Awesome may not be strong enough a word for you. :)
Now I'm off to discuss your hair post!

Mark, Monette, Coytt and Dalon said...

I can't believe they still run the races in SJ. I used to LOVE those cracker Jacks and the silver dollar :) Looks like you guys had a blast. And WOW a backflip off the high dive. You are one cool Mama!

Michelle and Javier said...

Wow! So much fun, brings back memories! :) We were at Lyman Lake too! It was crazy to see people who didn't recognize us! :) And that traffic back up stinks! Did you come from Payson? We went the Globe way, and it was too bad :)

And yes, you are awesome! back flipper, but that mommies boobies thing....gotta watch those! JK

The {Prince} Family said...

you are so FUNNY!!!! I love the whole "mommy booby padding" comment. You are one of a kind Koe!

Laurie said...

Dude! I want to go to St Johns for 4th of July that sounds awesome.
I think it's been years and years since I did a back flip and I've never done one off the high dive that was waaaaay cool!

Andrea Gunnell said...

There's nothing like the 4th of July in small towns. I think we will always head up to Show Low that time of year. The weather was so nice!!!